Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What are hazardous wastes?


Many products found in your kitchen, bathroom, garage or garden shed are potentially hazardous substances. Because of their chemical nature they can poison, corrode, explode or burst into flame when handled improperly. When discarded, they are household hazardous wastes.
Motor oil, paints, pesticides, antifreeze, wood preservatives, batteries and many household cleaners contain solvents, petroleum products, heavy metals or other toxic chemicals. When these products are dumped in the trash or poured down the drain, their hazardous chemicals can injure people or contaminate drinking water sources.
DO NOT dispose of hazardous waste in the trash, down the drain, onto the ground or on the street. All of these methods may result in health and/or environmental problems.
DO NOT store corrosives, flammables and poisons together. Separate these containers.
DO NOT repackage chemical products in containers that are normally used for products or soft drinks. Children have died from drinking chemicals stored in soft drink bottles.

Source: http://ecocycle.org/hazwaste-22/overview#whatarehazard


Post a Comment